I love football — have for as long as I can remember — so it was only natural that I would play Fantasy Football. I am in two different leagues, one pay league and a family league that is all about the bragging rights. Fantasy Football is becoming more and more popular among men and women alike. According to the Fantasy Sports Trade Association roughly 17 million women in the U.S and Canada are currently playing Fantasy Football. I know some of you probably roll your eyes every time your significant other mentions Fantasy Football, but I am telling you there are so many great reasons for you to join in the fun.
- It is fun, especially if you are competitive. When I was young and more in shape I loved competing in all kinds of activities. Now that I am an out of shape mom, I use Fantasy Football as my competitive release. I actually started out before I was a mom in a Pickem’ League where you pick the winners of all the games for the week and assign them confidence points… I won, beating my husband and I was hooked.
- It’s a good conversation starter – especially if you have a career in a male dominated field. I used to work in the hunting and fishing department at a large sporting goods store in North Dakota. Needless to say I was pretty much the only female in my area and Fantasy Football helped me to connect with my co-workers and customers. It’s fun to see the reaction on a guys face when you jump into a football conversation by saying, “Did you see that last minute pass Rodger’s made to Jordy last night? That extra 10 yards got me the win in my fantasy league!” That will usually lead to another 15 minutes of football talk and lasting business relationships. Fantasy Football can actually be a great networking too.
- It’s easy! You can be in a Pickem’ League and just pick the teams who you think will win each week or you can be in a super competitive pay league. I started in a fun family league with the winner earning bragging rights for the year. Honestly, all I really want to do is make sure I beat my husband the weeks I play him. I added a semi-competitive pay league that requires me to pay a little bit more attention to my lineup each week but it is easy and fun and I can do it all on my phone.
- It takes very little time each week and allows you to connect with other adults. You may be thinking, “Will I have time to do this with work and kids and house work?” The answer is yes. If you check Facebook or Instagram more than once a day you will have time to at least be in a fun league. I actually spend more time talking to my husband during football season because we usually spend time lying in bed talking about fantasy football at night. Plus I connect with friends and family more during the football season to discuss trades and other fantasy football stuff…which usually leads to long conversations about kids and what is going in our respective lives besides fantasy football.
- Draft Party! Having a Fantasy Football draft party gives you a great excuse to ditch the kids and head to a local restaurant, friend’s house, or just locking yourself in the office with a couple beers and peace and quiet. Most drafts are done via the internet on whatever site you have your team but a lot of times people still have draft parties. Some restaurants even have draft party specials that include food, beverages and access to the WiFi….sign me up for that! The only in-person draft party I was ever able to attend was when I was 9 months pregnant, my team name that year was “Sober Mama”, all the other drafts I have done have been on my couch in my pajamas with a beer or glass of wine in my hand. My husband held our 1 week old baby during an entire online draft once… I may have breastfed him at some point during this draft also.
To some women out there Fantasy Football may seem like a waste of time, but for 17 million women it is a fun past time with many benefits. Next time your significant other is going on and on about his fantasy team ask if you can join in, or start your own league! A moms only Fantasy Football League would be so much fun! Good luck to all my fellow Fantasy Football moms out there, have a great season!